Back in March, we reported about a poor MacBook Pro user who posted photos on Flickr along with an account of having come home to find his MagSafe connector melted. Thanking his cats for apparently disconnecting the MagSafe accidentally (see, I told you guys!), he thought that perhaps if it hadn't been disconnected that a more disastrous catastrophe could have occurred.
Apple was very swift in replacing the MacBook Pro and also very swift in requesting that the pictures be removed from Flickr immediately. Mr. Mulder, having been taken care of by Apple, complied and the internet world hasn't heard about melting MagSafe connectors since. Until now.
It appears as if a member on the Bit Tech forums has experienced the melting MagSafe for himself firsthand, and this time the event was actually witnessed by something other than felines.
Thought you guys should see this I was using my macbook pro in bed earlier and I started smelling a burning smell and look down at my laptop and see that the magsafe power cable is melting I am on the phone with apple right now to see what they are going to do I am just thankfull that I was using it when this happened otherwise It could have burnt down my apartment or something
The first time this happened was maybe a little bit freaky, but nothing to worry about for most of us. The second time? Ehhhh… maybe I'm keeping an extra eye on my MacBook Pro while it charges on the floor under my bed tonight.
So, is this going to turn into a recurring issue for Apple's loyal MacBook Pro users? Or, could it just be a problem with the power jacks in these people's homes that is helping the melting MagSafes along? Will Apple deal with this case as swiftly and secretively as the last? Will there be a (*gasp*) recall? So many unanswered questions…